About this Show

The War Room With Jennifer Granholm

News/Business. (2012) New. (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING
PG

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
528

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Fema 12, Manhattan 11, Chrysler 9, Jennifer 9, China 8, Sandy 7, New York 7, Obama 7, Us 5, Mitt Romney 4, U.s. 4, Ohio 4, Iowa 4, New York City 3, T.j. 3, Eliot 3, Eliot Spitzer 3, New Jersey 3, Chris Christie 3, Abc 3,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Current    The War Room With Jennifer Granholm    News/Business.   
   (2012) New. (CC) (Stereo)  

    October 30, 2012
    7:00 - 8:00pm PDT  

7:00pm
7:01pm
granholm. tonight in the second hour of "the war room," in our special coverage of hurricane sandy and the politics surrounding it, the very latest on rescue and recovery efforts in new york city and new jersey and a look at the storms' potential impact on the 2012 election now just seven days away. >> jennifer: let's get right to it. we'll go straight to new jersey where abc news correspondent t.j. winnick is on the ground in cape may on the jersey shore. t.j., welcome back inside "the war room." what's the latest on the ground? >> reporter: jennifer, as we said earlier you know, here in cape may it really dodged a bullet because the wind shifted last night but further north on
7:02pm
the jersey shore atlantic city, ocean city, asbury park, point pleasant, all of these communities have been absolutely devastated by the storm surge last night. right now, we know 2.5 or 2.6 million people in the state of new jersey without power. governor chris christie says it will be eight days at the very least before that power is restored. president obama is coming to new jersey tomorrow to see the devastation firsthand with governor christie along with fema representatives and you know, right now, we can see pictures. we see the pictures of the iconic boardwalk. ripped up and the wood strewn across the streets. we see the downtowns of these communities inundated with sand and ocean water. and of course, we see those shots of the ferris wheel actually on these piers partially submerged in the water. it really is an appear okay apocalyptic
7:03pm
scene on the jersey shore. obviously the cost in terms of damage in the billions and that's what fema and the president, of course, will be looking to lend a hand with tomorrow. >> jennifer: t.j., has everybody on the ground been accounted for? >> reporter: well, all i can tell you is that you know, those searches continue. many of the firefighters and the police, their own headquarters, many of them flooded. were fanned out yesterday and they were rescuing dozens of people who had to be either snatched from their rooftops or had to be pulled out of their homes. right now, they're still going house to house. that's what governor christie said today. going house to house to make sure everybody is accounted for. we cannot tell you at this hour that that is the case. that everyone has been accounted for. we can tell you that those searches continue. certainly high tide tonight was a concern. so we'll have to see you know, what happens at first light tomorrow morning. >> jennifer: all right.
7:04pm
abc news correspondent t.j. winnick, we'll certainly be watching new jersey tomorrow as the president visits the site. t.j., thanks so much for joining us inside "the war room." sandy is now expected to cause at least $20 billion in property damage. and between $10 and $30 billion some estimates say it will be $25 billion more in lost business. that would make it one of the costliest natural disasters on record in the united states. according to the forecasting firm ihs global insight. that's in part because of the sheer size of this storm. its impacts were felt across the entire east coast and then in parts of the midwest as well. airports across the region are still closed. tens of thousands of passengers stranded. up north in portland, maine wind gusts reached more than 60 miles per hour. that forced officials there to close the port. then further south the storm brought blizzard conditions to
7:05pm
parts of appalachia, more than two feet of snow blanketed some parts of west virginia. and a snowstorm in western maryland was so severe that it caused a pileup of tractor trailers there. but there is a small ray of light, despite flooding, despite power outages and mass transit closures. the new york city marathon is still set to go on as scheduled this sunday. for more on what's happening on the ground in new york i welcome back into "the war room" my current tv colleague and fellow former governor, eliot spitzer. eliot is joining us on the phone. thanks so much for being inside "the war room" tonight by phone. >> eliot: jennifer, my pleasure and thanks for all of the attention to what is going on in new york state and new york city. >> jennifer: what is your experience? obviously your show has been canceled at least i'm speaking up a portion of that as well as cenk uygur. for you personally, what have you
7:06pm
been seeing? >> we couldn't go on the air as demonstrative of the damage being done across the city, lack of power lack of transportation. obviously in the low-lying areas where the water was surging through communities and destroying power stations and flooding tunnels the devastation, the loss of life is just enormous. it makes you realize not only how powerful water is, absolutely nothing can stop it. when it surges through it just comes barreling through. no matter what man has created water wins that fight and a city as complicated as new york, when you realize what is beneath the street is often as complicated as what you see above it. power lines gas lines subway systems. the intrick is i of the infrastructure is amazing. rebuilding is costly. getting things back together is going to take some time. >> jennifer: yeah. well mayor bloomberg seems to have been doing a phenomenal job through the crisis. what do you think of his response so far? >> eliot: i think mike bloomberg has shown the
7:07pm
leadership and the sort of staid calmness people want. you want somebody in charge who shows the capacity to think clearly, not with excess emotion. to be empathetic, of course, but also to say look, we know what we're doing. most of the burden falls, of course, it begins with the mayor and the city of new york but then also goes to the crews that really begin the cleanup. you see the sanitation crews out in the street. clearing the street. you see the folks at the mta beginning to bring power back to the subway system. clear out the tunnels. you see the people who are just bringing phone service back. i remember -- you hate to think back to 9-11 but after 9-11 when i went to one of the buildings where the phone company had its switching station, there were hundreds of thousands of wires just completely melted down. you say how will anybody re-create this? they do it. it is slow. it is hard work but it is an amazing show of determination and fortitude and mike is doing a good job leading that effort. >> jennifer: it is an amazing statement about the employees
7:08pm
who are doing this work. in addition to the leadership. >> eliot: absolutely. >> jennifer: mayor bloomberg turned down the president's request to visit new york. i assume a lot of it to do with the complexities of new york. do you think it was the right thing for him to do? >> eliot: mike doesn't want to be pulled into the presidential race. he is rightly sort of protective of the city as his domain. i think he's saying look, we're doing what we need to do here. let's not have the upheaval of the fbi and all of the protective services that come in with the president. he doesn't do it out of disrespect. he's doing it out of a desire to keep things moving forward and to say to the world we're making progress. we have a marathon to run on sunday. and literally every day in the city is a marathon right now as we try to get back off our knees. >> jennifer: the flip side of that, it is interesting because chris christie praised the administration and the president's response and then he had this to say about the possibility of mitt romney visiting new jersey. take a listen. >> is there any possibility that
7:09pm
governor rogny may go to new jersey to tour some of the damage with you? >> i have no idea nor am i the least bit concerned or interested. i've got a job to do here in new jersey. that's much bigger than presidential politics and i could care less about any of that stuff. i have a job to do. i've got 2.4 million people out of power. i've got devastation on the shore. i've got floods in the northern part of my state. if you think right now i give a damn about presidential politics then you don't know me. >> eliot: i don't know where to start with that one. i don't want to sound snarky but it reminds me of his convention speech where he didn't mention mitt romney once. maybe the two of them don't get along. who knows. i'm not going to go near it. chris christie has his own style. good for the president. speaking his mind and who knows. >> jennifer: i don't know if mitt romney would be happy with that. anyway eliot. are you back online tomorrow do you think? >> eliot: absolutely.
7:10pm
we're geared up. i think we're going to be on for a couple of hours tomorrow night. i appreciate your filling in when we couldn't. our studio was knocked out. no power no juice. i appreciate it. we'll be back on tomorrow night. >> jennifer: you bet. all right. former new york governor, the host of current tv's "viewpoint," eliot spitzer. thanks eliot. up next, the president spent the day overseeing fema's response to one of the largest disasters in u.s. history. mitt romney spent the day ducking reporter's questions on whether he would eliminate fema. two statements that i think largely speak for themselves. you're watching "the war room." we'll be right back. of the country. to help you make informed decisions, watch current tv's politically direct lineup. only on current tv. so vote and vote smart.
7:11pm
7:12pm
7:13pm
7:14pm
>> jennifer: right now, across the northeast millions of americans are relying on the local, state and federal governments for more than a little help. the need for public assistance in a crisis like this storm is simply massive. back in june 2011 when governor romney was trying to win over republican primary voters at a debate, you may have seen this. he had this to say about how to fix the financially-strapped federal emergency management agency better known as fema. take a listen. >> romney: every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that's the right direction.
7:15pm
and if you go even further and send it back to the private sector, that's even better. >> jennifer: send it back to the private sector is even better. fast forward to today. seven days until the election. the nation is seeing the aftermath of hurricane sandy. romney didn't have an answer for reporters when they asked him five times about fema. for perspective on what fema might look like under a romney administration, i'm joined by marcos, the founder and the publisher of daily kos. he joins us from berkley california. great to have you back inside "the war room." >> good evening, jennifer. >> jennifer: all right. so mitt romney seems to me, anyway, to be digging himself into a hole here. he put out a statement about fema a couple of days ago which was sort of a flip-floppy statement. but he has this other statement that he made during the debates. do you think this fema issue
7:16pm
matters to republicans? >> yeah, let's not kid ourselves that these conservatives actually like mitt romney. this is an alliance of convenience. the enemy of my enemy is my friend. right now, barack obama is their biggest enemy. they're tolerating mitt romney. they already assume mitt romney is on the wrong side of every issue including this one. i don't think this flip-flop affects them. they hate romney and obama more. that's all that matters until the day after the election when we'll see them turn on romney in a big way. [ laughter ] >> jennifer: you mean when he loses. right? >> absolutely. >> jennifer: okay. >> they'll turn on him. >> jennifer: either way. >> right now they're pretending to like him but that's not going to last after he's a loser. >> jennifer: so there is the daily kos blog post today that actually talks about what disaster relief would be like in romney's world this, in fact, he were to push it down to the private sector. let's say that romney gets
7:17pm
elected. what would a privatized fema look like? >> there's two possibilities. they're both complete disasters. the first would be to actually truly privatize it. you pay for protection. a tennessee town tried this. the private fire chiefs sat and watched a man's house burn down because the person hadn't paid that protection fee. that would be the first option. only the people who can pay can actually do it. the second option is that okay, the federal government contracts a company to provide such services but remember, that's first priority isn't going to be refugees or people in disaster zones. it will be to their shareholders and to the bottom line. there is one thing to say about blankets and food and shelter is that they all impact profit margins. so you're not going to see the privatized theoretically privatized fema going all out to help people. in fact, we might see the opposite. either way the american public, anybody in the disaster zone loses.
7:18pm
>> jennifer: we certainly have seen what a privatized military might look like with halliburton and with blackwater. the real question is if you brought that kind of philosophy here to domestic emergencies you know, do you really think -- does anybody think that americans would tolerate a private company who might as you say profit from really what is the misery of others? who would, in fact, get more money, the more we're hurting. that, i think is fundamentally anti-american. i cannot imagine that occurring. could you? >> well, there are companies like that already payday lenders, repo men bill collectors. some lawyers. none of these people are very popular. so i don't think -- >> jennifer: but they're also not the government contracting for it. now we've got the government. your tax dollars paying for a company that would end up making a profit when you were hurting. that just -- it is wrong. >> absolutely.
7:19pm
ultimately, this company isn't going to provide the best possible service to the refugees. that will be obvious the first catastrophe after they would come into existence is that it would be an absolute disaster because they wouldn't want to spend the money. they don't want to. they're not in the business of losing money. >> jennifer: right. so yesterday former fema director michael brown criticized president obama for responding to sandy too quickly. this is brownie having done a heck of a job. today, abc news political correspondent jonathan karl tweeted this picture of people holding up cans next to a shirt that says -- at the romney relief rally next to a shirt that says obama you're fired. obama, you're fired and here are your cans. it makes us wonder do you think -- maybe not mitt romney but some in his crew might be politicizing this a little bit? >> you know, i think this should
7:20pm
be politicized. the whole point of this election is to find out who should run the federal government? and the government has certain responsibilities mox them is the welfare of the american people. so this incident is an absolute -- i think critical case study in what government should be like and that should be discussed in presidential elections. let's compare. let's compare brownie. heck of a job. let's see the job he did with bush. let's compare how obama has handle handled this crisis. there wouldn't be this organization designed and in charge of helping people. it would be, to me, it would be political malpractice not to turn this into a political discussion because this is exactly what this election is all about. >> jennifer: it is about who we are right? who we are as a people and what we value and how we care for one another. i appreciate your perspective coming inside "the war room." founder and publisher of the influentialal political blog the daily kos. up next, scientists have made no secrets they believe climate change is leading to extreme
7:21pm
weather events. it is unfortunate we only seem to pay attention after these events and not before. that story is next. you can be pretty sure it is one you'll only find inside "the war room" on current tv. >>oh really? >>"if you ever raise taxes on >>the rich, you're going to destroy our economy." not true!
7:22pm
♪ ♪ the trucks are going farther. the new 2013 ram 1500. ♪ ♪ with the best-in-class fuel economy. engineered to move heaven and earth. ♪ ♪ guts. glory. ram.
7:23pm
7:24pm
>> it's really a hoax which i said way back in 2003. this became quite a charge to a lot of people. a hoax that is -- the fact that all of this is happening is due to man-made gases. ryel believe is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated to the american people. >> jennifer: that's oklahoma senator, infamous climate defire james inhoff. i don't know about you but it saddens me. maybe it makes me really mad that someone with such an outrageous and dangerous view on our changing environment is the ranking member of the committee of environment and public works. maybe, maybe hurricane sandy will convince the senator and his fellow deniers that global warming is a very real threat but i wouldn't hold my breath. inhoff is actually in bed with big oil and big gas. the industry has given him more than half a million dollars. joining me to discuss the very real threat of global warming
7:25pm
and the language of climate change is one of my favorites professor george, also the author of "the little blue book" the essential guide to thinking democratic. welcome back inside "the war room." >> always a pleasure to be here. >> jennifer: always a pleasure to have you. you wrote an article today for "the huffington post" and in that article, you said that global warming systemically caused hurricane sandy and you emphasized this issue of causation but systemic causation. explain what you meant. >> well, every language in the world can express what's called direct causation. what's direct causation? i pick this up. that's direct causation. it's i ply force to it, it changes, it goes up. direct causation. you can say things like that in any language. now systemic causation is much more complicated. we have lots of examples of it. it is not direct at all. for example take drunk driving causes car accidents.
7:26pm
you don't know exactly when its's going to happen. you don't know whether it will happen to you but on the whole drunk driving causes car accidents or something like smoking causes cancer. some people smoke and don't get cancer. you don't know when you're going to get cancer, if you're going to and so on. there are many factors involved in these things yet we understand them as systemic causation. no language in the world has that -- you have to learn about systemic causation. >> jennifer: part of your article today, you were saying that scientists often create an ambiguity about this issue about whether the extreme weather events are caused by climate change. and your argument, you were saying they are. they're systemically caused by and you were strong about it. so you're just advocating we use the right language in this. >> you bet. every time i hear a climate scientist say well we don't know if it was really caused by that. they're talking about direct causation. where you can tell exactly when and where --
7:27pm
>> jennifer: that's the language of science right? >> it isn't really. much of science isn't like that. like anything that i just mentioned about biology economics and so on. but climate scientists are using that incorrectly. there is real systemic causation here. and systemic causation happens when certain things are present. for example you might have multiple causes. you might have a network of causes. you might have feedback groups. all of those really occur in nature. and what happens here is very clear. in hurricane sandy you have a special kind of hurricane that is normal. actually when you have global warming. it is normal because its characterization is it's huge. it has a huge amount of moisture. it has a huge amount of energy that goes into the winds. how does this happen? every climate scientist knows perfectly well that when you
7:28pm
have global warming you get more evaporation over the oceans lots more moisture in the air. when that happens you get heat in the oceans. heat transfers in storms into winds. the energy of the heat goes into the energy of the winds. the fact that we have this is a normal thing to happen when you have global warming. it is going to happen but you don't know exactly when and you don't know exactly where and you don't know exactly how big. but you do know these things are happening and they're going to happen. >> jennifer: so the purpose of this conversation is to convey to people, progressives who know that there is a causal link to be clear about it. to not be fudging about it. be clear. there is a systemic causation that links human activity and climate change to these huge weather events.
7:29pm
>> right. systemic causation, we have a name for it. you need to use that name. >> jennifer: all right. so make it real. so we know that there's been a whole pushback on the part of like senator inhoff and others saying it is a hoax. often, it is good if we can tell a story that's very concrete to help convey the urgency of the moment. is there an example like that that you could share with people? >> sure. james hanson gave us a great example. when you notice that there's been a one degree increase in the warming of the earth you don't feel one degree locally. but the earth is huge. so the question is how much extra energy has come in every day, you know, from the sun when you have global warming? >> jennifer: one degree all over the surface of the earth is a huge amount. >> huge amount. but even every day -- over the surface of the earth the equivalent of 400,000 hiroshima
7:30pm
atomic bombs every single day. >> jennifer: that's incredible. >> it is not incredible if you compute the size of the earth. it is huge and when you have that much sunlight and that much energy coming in and you have heating trapping that heat through carbon dioxide that's how much extra energy every day comes to the earth. that is why we're having these storms these fires. these droughts. et cetera. all of those are systemically caused. >> jennifer: and the urgency aspect of it is when it gets to two centigrade higher than what would otherwise be considered normal you have major national -- not national -- global catastrophes happening. >> such a catastrophe you can't imagine. you have 13 foot waves coming over in manhattan. huge. what would happen under two degrees is a 45 foot rise in the
7:31pm
oceans everywhere. 45 feet. >> jennifer: manhattan would be completely underwater. >> so much of america. europe south america asia. >> jennifer: when mitt romney mocks the rising of the oceans, it is due directly to the climate, that centigrade creeping toward two degrees right? >> you melt the ice and it just goes huge. >> jennifer: all right. it is an amazing thing and language is important. we've got to be clear about it, progressives. george lakoff, professor at u.c. berkeley. thanks so much for joining us. >> my pleasure. >> jennifer: up next, it is a storm that new york city is never going to likely forget. we're going go there live for the latest. this is "the war room" on current tv. got some great guests coming up. >>now it's your turn. connect with "the war room" jennifer granholm. >>it's a call to arms.
7:32pm
make your voice heard.
7:33pm
7:34pm
7:35pm
>> jennifer: we're once again bringing in our own current correspondent david shuster. david, welcome back inside "the war room." can you tell us, for example david, what are you seeing right now, obviously you're in the studio right now what you saw today on the street. what are the sights and sounds people across the country should be aware of? >> that's a good question. just before i came to the studio tonight, i walked down -- i'm on the east side. power is out from 39th south manhattan and from 31st south on the west side. so i walked down to 39th and it is all black. you don't see any lights in the buildings and beyond that, it is not just sort of the buildings and the apartments and everybody who's out of power and it is cold. it is 50 degrees and there's
7:36pm
rain in the forecast but it is also treacherous if you try to walk out of the apartment or building because streetlights, the traffic lights are not working. there are people driving and you're supposed to sort of stop at intersections and what not but it is like the wild west. somebody or several people are going to get killed because essentially, it is lawless. people sort of driving -- there's no way to control it. >> jennifer: are the cabs driving? >> cabdrivers are running nfnlt fact, the mayor said today that cab drivers he's suspending the rules that cab drivers can pick up multiple passengers. they can do that. the cabs are jammed because there's nobody able to use the subway. the traffic is crowded but it is also -- it is sometimes frightening. then on the upper part of man -- manhattan, you see cars that have been smashed by trees that have come down. there's leaves essentially blocking some of the gutters. you see a lot of them -- most of the restaurants that are open 24
7:37pm
hours, starbucks and kinkos and various places you expect to be open all the time in new york, they're closed. instead of every sort of restaurant and place on the block on the upper side of manhattan being open all the time as they usually are maybe there's one. it has a huge line because it is the only place in the neighborhood that's open. >> jennifer: are the people then -- do you have a sense that the people in lower manhattan are hunkered in or are they moving to, you know, upper manhattan to get food or whatever? is there traveling going on? >> there are a lot of people on the streets. you can't get a hotel room in new york because so many people from lower manhattan are moving up to get a break from it all. that's one issue. secondly, the mayor and a lot of officials said look, just stay put. best thing to do is stay put. we'll get on the power back on in four or five days. you can imagine going several days without power, without heat, without water and some people are going to want to say i'm going stir crazy. i want to get out of here. >> jennifer: people can get out of manhattan.
7:38pm
i assume the bridges are fine. people can drive out if they have a car or get a ride or take a cab ride? >> there is a way. some of the bridges were closed today. all of the tunnels are still closed. some of the bridges are going to start opening tomorrow. but even if you want to go beyond manhattan hoboken, there are a lot of neighborhoods where people have water that's four or five feet tall. the national guard has been called in to help with those rescues. even if say you want to leave manhattan, visit relatives in hoboken, you may not be able to get through because there's no cell phone service in manhattan. it is difficult to communicate. a lot of the people have no-no power, no electricity. they don't know what's going on as far as everything else in the city. they don't know what bridges are starting to open or what bus service unless they have transistor radios. a lot of people completely out of it. they're cut off not only physically but in terms of communication. >> jennifer: just quickly david, the mayor is saying by the weekend that everything should be back up at least
7:39pm
electricitywise? >> well, pepco -- con ed apparently told the mayor parts of manhattan, key parts of manhattan should be up in four or five days. you have some folks living in apartment buildings beyond the zone where there's no power on the east side where there's been flooding and gas lines have been ruptured. you may have to stay out of your apartment for two weeks. >> jennifer: i hope people will be able to vote at least. let's hope they can at least vote. >> that will be interesting. >> jennifer: all right david. thank you so much for joining us again. always vivid reporting. appreciate it. david shuster reporting from new york city. >> you're welcome. >> jennifer: up next, we want to get you caught up on what's going on out on the campaign front. we're going to go live to swing state iowa. we'll also gauge the temperature in a few of the other key swing states. that's next. we'll be right back.
7:40pm
7:41pm
7:42pm
>> jennifer: we're just one week from election day. the country's attention of course is on the northeast. but make no mistake the obama and the romney war rooms are looking at the nine critical swing states from florida to nevada. this is a very close race. every state matters including iowa and its six electoral votes. i want to talk about that for a second because the latest poll
7:43pm
from iowa has president obama leading 50% to 46%. that still is within the gravis marketing survey 4-point margin of error. it is a state that the obama war room won four years ago. it needs to keep out of romney's hands to better its odds of winning re-election. for more perspective on the final seven days of the campaign, we're going to turn to one of our favorite political reporters, carla mayor nucci. it was interesting because of course if mitt romney does not win ohio, i mean, he has to win iowa. >> this has been a battleground for how long now? those early voting -- early voting. >> jennifer: it is only six electoral votes. early voting in iowa is largely in the president's favor. >> same thing in colorado. the obama campaign has that
7:44pm
ground game down. particularly, i went door-to-door with latino canvas workers. they were just getting it out and working like crazy. i think the obama campaign has got their stuff together there. >> jennifer: so many people have made up their mind and acted upon that early. >> in nevada, another state where the latino vote is really changing the picture. >> jennifer: you were there. you saw some of that, too. >> just last week. crowds of californians are going there. have gone there for the last three weekends, particularly to with a shaw county which is a swing county near reno and down by vegas. those two areas are just a hotbed of activity right now. >> jennifer: all of the swing states, all of the stuff is going on even while everybody's attention is focused on the east. >> completely. >> jennifer: and do you think -- i mean we've seen obviously the president -- being presidential. we've seen mitt romney as well. are there missteps here? >> on the president's side, he
7:45pm
looked picture perfect today. a picture of leadership. a picture of bipartisanship. absolutely. working with you know, mayor bloomberg, governor cuomo governor christie, all across the aisle and i have to say that he just played it exactly right. romney, on the other hand, tried to be above the fray. in his campaign events. but on the air just went down into the mud. >> stephanie: talk about that. i'm going to talk about that in a minute. i want to hear your opinion on it. what do you mean by that? >> this ad in ohio on the jeep -- shipping jobs to china. when you get the ceos of chrysler and g.m. mad at you in the same day this is like an eight-car pileup. it just goes to the whole issue of romney being almost allergic to the truth on some of the issues. >> jennifer: totally. >> i think it is huge. >> jennifer: and i want to play just a snippet of that ad
7:46pm
to remind our viewers who may not have caught up with that yet. let's watch this for just a sec. >> announcer: who will do more for the auto industry? not barack obama. fact checkers confirm his attacks on mitt romney are false. the truth? mitt romney has a plan to help the auto industry. >> jennifer: you know what kills me is this airs in ohio. ohio knows very well where mitt romney stood on -- >> the guy painted himself as a son of the auto industry and when you have the head of g.m. today saying this belies everything apparently he knows nothing about the way cars are marketed. i think it is very, very damaging and this is an ad that's been called pants on fire. >> jennifer: four pinocchios. there is another issue that's hot out there which is,. course, mitt romney and women. you have been doing research on that. >> we've been doing stuff on this. romney has no doubt about it.
7:47pm
shayed down obama's big margin. he was double digits even a week ago. i think there are suggestions maybe it is not as bad as people think. he has reduced it and you have some very big groups out there. i talked to nancy keenan, sandra fluke here in the bay area yesterday. they're out there reminding women on this and nancy keenan's group has looked at what they call the obama defectors five million potential women who are going to vote for him in 2008 and may cross over to romney. look, when romney has out there norm coleman -- >> jennifer: let's talk about that. norm coleman. this is a quote -- norm coleman is a top romney surrogate. former minnesota senator. he went and told a group of ohio voters president bush was president eight years. roe v. wade wasn't reversed. he had two supreme court picks. roe v. wade wasn't reversed. it's not going to be reversed. this is norm coleman
7:48pm
conservative republican telling a republican audience something that they do not want to hear. how confusing is that? >> very confusing. there are ads out there right now, women saying things like look, i've heard that romney is against contraception. that's just a lie. i think democrats have never claimed romney is against contraception but the fact is romney has made it very, very clear what he would do with regard to supreme court appointments and row. have wade. >> jennifer: he said it numerous times. >> a lot of the women, they're trying to get the message across. it is not just about the presidential race. it is about the u.s. senate races. >> jennifer: in fact, you've got -- big senate race of course, elizabeth warren and scott brown. suffolk university poll has her up today by 7 points. he's declined to do the third debate. he used the hurricaning as an excuse but now he says he doesn't want to -- >> some of them are coming home to the realization that the senate is a line in the sand. that holds --
7:49pm
>> jennifer: about women. >> i think that's a lot about women in that race. >> jennifer: very interesting. >> across the country, it will be huge. >> jennifer: always great to have your great insight carla. of the "san francisco chronicle." up next, the romney campaign has once again attempted to deceive the american public about the auto industry. my thoughts on that right after the break. (vo) cenk uygur is many things. >>oh really? >>"if you ever raise taxes on >>the rich, you're going to destroy our economy." not true! fruit just got cooler. fruit on one side, cool on the other. new ice breakers duo. a fruity, cool way to break the ice.
7:50pm
7:51pm
7:52pm
[ male announcer ] you like who you are... and you learned something along the way. this is the age of knowing what you're made of. so, why let erectile dysfunction get in your way? talk to your doctor about viagra. 20 million men already have. ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take viagra if you take nitrates for chest pain; it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. side effects include headache, flushing upset stomach, and abnormal vision. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. stop taking viagra and call your doctor right away if you experience a sudden decrease or loss in vision or hearing. this is the age of taking action. viagra. talk to your doctor. see if america's most prescribed ed treatment is right for you. >> jennifer: so apart from the storm news, there has been some political news i just cannot let go of. mitt romney has to realize that
7:53pm
he's lost already the industrial midwest because he has completely lost a grip on reality. he's decided to throw this hail mary pass that is going to cause his already struggling campaign to implode in ohio. so last week, romney falsely claimed in a speech that jeep now owned by the italians, he said, is thinking of moving all production to china. now, when romney said that in that speech, chrysler responded that it is a leap that would be difficult even for professional circus acrobats to suggest that it would close all u.s. facilities and move operations to china. in fact, chrysler is hiring over 2,000 more people in toledo and detroit. but romney decided to double down on the deception and the campaign is running that ad and here's another little bit of it in select ohio markets. i don't even want to show you the rest of it but take a look.
7:54pm
>> announcer: obama took g.m. and chrysler into bankruptcy and sold chrysler to italians who are going to build jeeps in china. >> jennifer: now chrysler had this response to the ad. jeep has no intention of shifting production of its jeep models out of north america to china. that's chrysler's quote. and then sergio, the ceo of chrysler sent an e-mail to employees expressly stating chrysler is absolutely not sending jobs to china. "the washington post," the fact checker, gave the ad four pinocchios. you can't even get more deceptive than that. president obama's campaign ran this response to the romney lying ad. >> after romney's false claim of jeep outsourcing to china chrysler itself has refuted romney's lie. the truth? jeep is adding jobs in ohio.
7:55pm
mitt romney and ohio jobs, wrong then. >> romney: let detroit go bankrupt. >> announcer: dishonest now. >> jennifer: and then romney's campaign did it again! but this time it wasn't chrysler. now, today they're paying for a radio ad saying the same thing about general motors. and that radio ad caused general motors to issue this statement. we've clearly entered some parallel universe during these last few days. no amount of campaign politics at its cynical worst will diminish our record of creating jobs in the u.s. and repatriating profits back to this country. now, the romney ads are so offensive because it is a bold-faced lie. he knows it is a lie. bill clinton confirmed it. >> bill: it turns out that jeep is reopening in china because they've made so much money here they can afford to do it and they are going on with
7:56pm
their plans here. they've put out a statement today saying it was the biggest load of bull in the world they would consider shutting down the american operations. >> jennifer: because romney is so desperate opportunistic single-minded politician, he doesn't care that he's lying. it is his scorched earth policy. he will do whatever it takes to win no matter what the consequences to our politics, to our country or our people. and that's exactly what leo gerard, the international president of the united steelworkers yesterday called this strategy winning without honor. i'm not even sure that goes far enough. ohioans are not going to be fooled by that deception. here's how the "cleveland plain dealer" put it in an editorial. they called it flailing in ohio. romney rolls out jeep ploy. it won't work. ohio voters know who stepped up when the auto industry was at the abyss and it wasn't romney. let me just say this to the people of ohio.
7:57pm
i can totally understand why you would be ticked off. mitt romney is lying to you because he think you're too oblivious to remember the truth. unfortunately neither you nor i can respond with the choice words that we might like to use but fortunately, we can send an even more powerful response to this garbage. you will have the final word, my friends, in one week from today on election day. use it well! and that's it for this two-hour edition of "the war room." god and con edison willing eliot spitzer and "viewpoint" will be back on the air tomorrow night. we will, as well, with the complete coverage of the aftermath of hurricane sandy including the president's visit to storm ravaged areas of new jersey. tomorrow, we'll be able to say we're now less than one week away from the 2012 election. it is going to be an amazing trip down the homestretch. so you all be safe. and have a good night.
7:58pm
7:59pm

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)